Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Breaks...are much needed(:


As a home schooling mom, I am sometimes asked about how things are at our house during the year, and also during breaks ie: holidays, sick days, summer, etc...I have to say that they vary! We dont break like the public school for every holiday known, mostly because we just dont see the point in that, nor do I want to be doing something when that many other people are out and about too...The only real breaks we take Christmas and then a Spring and Summer break...


This year I have worked out in my planner to somewhat school year round. I did this because it will give us more breaks, and when baby comes I am not having to push a date or work on my children and we can have fun, and enjoy time as a family getting to know the new little blessing that is joining our family. Thankfully it worked out where the baby is due right at one of our breaks...So my plan is to take off for a month no matter what, and more if we need too...


Another thing I have been asked is "How do you schedule time to do things like appts, housework, etc...?"...
That is the funny thing about home schooling...you can do it when you want too..or have time too...I do house work while the kids are doing their work, mostly laundry or vacuuming gets done then. I do dishes and such things like that while they nap(yep, my kids do have nap time still or quiet time in their rooms) and appts get done when I make the time for them other then if a child is sick...


Back to breaks: breaks are highly important for any child, but even more important for the mom/dad who is home schooling the children all day long, all year long! I was terrified my first year home schooling with the days that are required in my state that we "had" to do school...I wondered how in the world I would take breaks and still finish by May to have a summer off with the kids...I went to public school and it was laid out on a calendar for me, my parents never had to deal with that. However, when we chose to home school our kids I made the choice not to run off the public school calendar. Mainly because I didnt want to have to share my break with other crazy people who are out and about, not to mention that the parks and places of fun would be crowded as all get out...and I also like taking breaks when the prices of things are less...For example going to the beach in late August-October, we dont live anywhere near a beach but we do live near mountains so we get a nice choice because everyone else is at school and work when we would do things!


So, overall yes we home schooling families take breaks, and have time to do our normal wife/mother things...It may take us a little longer however it does get done. Breaks are highly important for any parent/child...it gives everyone time to re-group and figure out new plans if needed...If you home school dont be afraid to take breaks, you and your child need them to survive!

Speaking of breaks, our summer is quickly coming to a end...and I need to go and finish my planner up and enjoy the last carefree moments with my babies...I hope your summer break is going great and you have made lots of memories(:  Blessings!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are awesome and much appreciated however, I reserve the right to publish or not publish a comment based on its contents.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...