Friday, July 01, 2011

The Greatest Storybook...

Last night I made a trip to the library, just me and my littlest guy went, to pick up some books for get this....me...yep I had placed a few books on hold and realized some were there and needed to be snatched before the library closes for the 4th of July!...One of the books that really stuck out to me was the book by Ruth Beechick called A Biblical Home Education...I am not so sure why this book stuck out to me like it did however, I made it to the couch, opened to the page, and began reading! She places a quote in the beginning by Researcher E.D. Hirsch, Jr. thats states:


"No one in the English speaking world can be considered literate without a basic knowledge of the Bible."--Researcher E.D. Hirsch Jr.


That quote really stuck with as a person, a wife, and most of all as a mother that home schools...I have never been good at reading the Bible for any length of time for any apparent reason, my hubby can and does on a regular basis, however I get lost in the words and my mind starts to travel to other places and things that are going on in my life, so I always place my Bible back on the table and go on about my normal things.


Ruth speaks about how to teach the Biblical Doctrines to children, the hugely important ones, even giving you examples of how to do so. She says that children can imagine anything at all ages and can picture the Bible as a story and take bits and pieces in...I have never thought of looking at the Bible like a huge story book before, I have always looked at it like the book to be cherished above all and to me thinking of it as a story book would have not stuck well I would have thought in some way I was making fun of God, when really I wasnt...


As a home schooling parent although I do not home school due to religion I do want my children to have a knowledge far greater then most of the Bible and its whole truths...I want them to be able to look at situations and think "this is not ok, the Bible says_______" and help others who are lost in the world find Jesus and everlasting life...I want them to not be afraid to read their Bibles and share it with me, their father, and even friends...I want them to picture it like a story book and visualize it happening as they read and the words jump out to them on the pages. I want to be able to read a verse or two and them talk about it for the whole week...


The Bible is the most important, truthful, joyous story book in the world. Its not Cinderella, Snow White, or even The Swan Princess...Its God's words for His children, its His life story of greatness, and the book that no matter what cannot be unproven or said to be fake! Its full of truths for our lives, the best story to be reading...and I am going to start picturing it that way, like a huge story book, rather then letting it collect dust beside my arm chair...and read my children more of the wonderful, oh so true stories in it too...Blessings!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are awesome and much appreciated however, I reserve the right to publish or not publish a comment based on its contents.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...