Friday, September 30, 2011

What To Buy VS What Not To Buy For Baby!

I have became what is called a Pro-Mama, I have gave birth to 3 children in the past 7 years, funny how every other year of those last 7 years I have been pregnant huh?! Well, now that I am about to deliver our last little bundle of joy I thought I would do a post on what to buy and what to avoid when you are having a baby. I know everyone is different but these are my own thoughts on this topic. So we will first start off with the What To Buy List...


Things To Buy For Baby:
-Receiving Blankets: I would suggest 5-10 receiving blankets(babies do pee through diapers and they tend to spit up and if they are swaddled in the blanket then its going to get on it and you will need a extra) 
-Thick Blankets: I suggest 3 total...If your having a baby at any season of the year, babies like to be warm it reminds them of the womb so to speak so they like to be all snug and warm, not only are the thick blankets good for that they also make great wind breakers to cover a carseat! 
-Clothing: This is where most people spend the bulk of their money on the baby. Ladies please your child doesnt need to have all new items, nor does a  newborn need 50 onesies or 100 pairs of socks, be WISE here, buy a few things in Newborn, 0-3 months, and 3-6 months to start with...your baby will grow quickly, newborns typically only wear newborn clothes for maybe 2 weeks...And if your baby is a chunky one like my last son who actually came home from the hospital wearing 3-6 months rather then 0-3 months you will have wasted your money. And by a few items I mean 2 packs newborn onesies, 2-4 sleepers, and do the same thing for the other sizes, yes you can buy a few outfits if you want to but remember to not spend so much in this department until you have the baby and see how big or small it is, it also helps on saving space in the closet...All babies need clothing just be wise with your purchases!
-Playard or Playpen: This is one of those useful items for any parent. What new mama wants to run up and down stairs constantly or even get up and leave their room when they have a newby? Not me...With ALL my babies I had a playard, I had one that had built in storage for all of them, number 4 baby just got his/hers this past week(Thanks Bee & Pops)...I suggest this OVER a bassinet, babies can stay in these through toddler years if needed, you can take them to grandma's and on trips...They are GREAT...highly highly suggest!
-Diapers and Wipes: This one is tricky...ALL babies need these items...however some babies are allergic to some diapers and wipes, I suggest Pampers Swaddlers for any newby they are they ones you will get in the hospital and have a little blue line to indicate when the baby is wet, they go up through size 2...After the first month or so I would buy what you want but I wouldnt switch up too much on the diaper thing, I bought Luv's brand diapers after my babies couldnt wear Pampers Swaddlers any longer, they are cheaper and work WAY better then other brands...As for wipes I would suggest sensitive in any brand, some are even unscented and those are great too...I personally buy and love Huggies Wipes they are thicker then Pampers brand and are softer then store brands...If your using cloth diapers well I am of no help here, I dont honestly see the point in those, some mothers swear by them but honestly I dont like doing laundry that much...
-My BreastFriend Nursing Pillow:If you plan to nurse a baby, then this is the route I would suggest you take. This pillow is Mama's lifesaver, it supports you, your back and the baby all the same time! DO NOT waste your time trying to fight with the other leading pillow by the name of Boppy, they dont offer the mom any support at all, if your just wanting a pillow for baby then fine buy the Boppy but I would never suggest it to a nursing mama...
-Nursing Pads:Do buy washable in these, it will save you money and they work so much better then the throw aways...These go inside your nursing bra to help you avoid a leak...When you baby cries at all...you will leak, trust me on this...I cannot tell you the times these things saved me from being embarrassed with Isaiah when I nursed him...You will even leak around other babies...sorry but you will...all nursing mama's have leaking boobs for a while...
-Breast Pump:Do invest in this...DO NOT say well I will get one when my milk comes in, umm hun your will die when your milk comes in and at first all your pumping is Colostrum which is really fatty, it helps the baby gain weight in those early weeks, and if you dont pump you can get backed up which is really painful and sometimes serious. I suggest either the Ameda brand Pump or Medela Pumps(they use Medela in hospitals) but if you are on a budget get what you can afford that is electric...Pumping actually will help your milk come in faster, but you also need to nurse your baby as often as it wants to nurse that way your body gets used to babies feeding schedule...
Cribs, Carseats, Strollers: All are must haves for baby, be sure to always buy this NEW...if you dont you risk a recall and the item not being safe for baby...Carseats lose safety while in the car so they are never safe to buy used, cribs get recalled all the time and drop side cribs are banned now so you need to buy this new! Wal-Mart has some really nice ones for $200... also would suggest buying a carseat/stroller combo it will save you money and most now are sold with carseat bases for your car. 
-Bouncer and Swings: These arent must haves but they are great to have for the baby...If you can I would buy a swing bouncer combo meaning the swing detaches and becomes a bouncer, Graco makes some and I am not sure about other brands but this is what we have. It will save you a lot of space. I also would suggest buying another option to buy a electric one, yep one that plugs into the wall that way your not spending so much money batteries for the swing if you buy then separate. These you can buy used and I suggest it because of how expensive they are today. 
-Bath Products: I would suggest buying some hooded towels and wash clothes, buy 3-5 towels and a pack of 10 wash clothes all you need...Baby wash, I suggest Aveeno products they are sensitive and yes they cost a little more then other brands but I think its worth it...Dont over buy in this area though, you will get a lot at a baby shower if you have one and your baby may break out to brand or another so you will want to just keep it limited so you dont waste your money.
-Baby Carrier:If your going to be walking a lot with your baby I suggest a baby carrier, its a investment if you want a good one, I would suggest Ergo due to it having a lot of support and will last again through toddler years, however you can buy whichever fits your budget.


Now to the Things I wouldnt buy:
-Baby Slings: Many have been recalled due to suffocating a baby and I just personally do not think they are safe I would not suggest you buy one.
-Bottles: I know babies need these and if I would suggest a brand it would be Avent. However do not buy all the bottles in the world that look cute, babies are all different and some like small bottle nipples while another may like bigger bottle nipples, its also a latching thing. So buy a pack or two of what you think will work and then test them on your baby. Dont buy 5 brands all at once.
-Clothing: again be wise here. Dont buy a ton of newborn, and 0-3 month clothes, your baby will only wear a few items anyways and then will grow out of them. Not to mention babies do not care what they wear...Just overall be wise with how you buy clothing.
-Burp Rags: Seriously I wouldnt waste my money. I would suggest you buy Gerber brand cloth diapers and use those as burp rags, they are thicker and hold more and if you know someone who can sew and know what your having they can doll them up for you...
-Toys: I would suggest you not buy a ton of toys for your baby. Babies are happy playing with your cookware and spoons, and not to mention a newborn isnt playing with anything. Wait and buy toys and things when your baby is at the age to play with them. They can be used too so check your thrift stores, consignment stores and yard sales for these things because baby wont play with them very long...
-Baby Detergent: I am sorry its just a waste of money, but to me $15-$20 on detergent just for a baby is crazy. If you want to buy special detergent for your baby buy whatever brand Free and Clear...or you can just use whatever you would use on your clothes, but babies do break out so that is why I would suggest a free and clear detergent like All or Tide...
-The In Items: you know things you see in magazines or on TV...you do not have to keep up with the crowd here. Buy what you can afford to buy, babies are expensive and things they need can be expensive like diapers and baby food...But seriously there is no need for you to have a $700 diaper bag...the baby doesnt care about the diaper bag...nor will you once your baby is here. Just get what will work, and save your money the most you can to be able to do things with your baby, like getting pictures made, or trips that will come, or the things that after the baby comes your realize you need...Your not rich nor am I, and even if I were I would still buy what I could afford to buy...Be you and carry your own style...whatever style that may be! Your baby honestly just needs the basics, love and attention from Mom and Dad, and to feel safe...


Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. Great advice. I will be passing this on to some soon to be parents.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome and much appreciated however, I reserve the right to publish or not publish a comment based on its contents.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...