Sunday, June 17, 2012

How We School Through The Year!

A awesome bloggy friend of mine {Blondee} asked in my last post if we school following the district schools calendar. It actually didnt dawn on me that I havent answered that yet, so I thought I would and explain my reasoning behind it. In short my answer is No, we do not follow the district school calendar where we live. The detailed answer: For the past 2 years my husband Jim has been going to a CBC which is a Bible College whose main branch is here in Colorado. His school year would take various days/weeks off and he was in school from Sept-May. So, the first year we had moved to Colorado was the year our oldest started Kindergarten. To pass our boredom and all the hot weather{yes CO can be extremely hot, just without all the humidity}...I chose to start our schooling in July. We typically school from July-April which leaves us May/June when the weather isnt SO hot to have our summer break. Although my husband did graduate this past May from CBC I still chose to keep our routine of July. We will be taking off 2 weeks in October for our trip back to NC, and then random times through the year as need be.

What I do in May/June while we are on break:
-Typically the entire month of May I do everything but anything school related. I take a break from looking at curricula, looking at blogs, looking at forums, etc. I just need to step back. Then June hits, I start going through school things that I have seen or heard of through the year, browsing reviews, deciding on what we will use, making my own calendars, browsing Fun Friday crafts/activities, deciding what theme topics I want to cover for the year, cleaning the school area, moving things around if need be, you know all that lovely stuff! Last but not least I actually hit the order button and await box day(:

Thank you Blondee for your question! If you have any questions you would like to ask please feel free to leave them in the comments section!

And dont forget to ENTER the Urban Decay Naked 2 Giveaway, it ends on 6/24/12...Have a great Sunday...Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. That is a great idea to change your summer vacation to fit a more comfortable time weather wise for your bunch. Congrats to Jim on graduating and good luck on starting another year of homeschooling adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome and much appreciated however, I reserve the right to publish or not publish a comment based on its contents.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...