Wednesday, March 13, 2013

My Top 10 Parenting Sanity Savors...

We all have our days when Mom turns into some scary monster who crawled out from her den with red eyes, massive sharp teeth, a snarling nose, and horns coming from our head...kind of reminds me of The Gruffalo...our children can play the mouse { all in good fun }...


Anyways, there are some things that we Mama's can do to save our sanity on those days...and today I am going to share mine with you...


When our children are born we are not given a manual for that particular gender of child. Girls get the book titled "Raising Glorious Girls" and boys get " Raising Brilliant Boys"...nope, that doesnt happen in real life. Instead we are handed these cute, pink, warm little beings from a nurse who I am sure is saying something like "Good luck sucker" in her head...all the while we are making plans to showing off these little bundles of pure joy, or so we think...a few years pass and your thankful for being able to catch a few ZZZ's and being able to wear something other then spit up on shirts...then a new phase hits...and once again your stuck at what to do with these little beings God so graciously blessed you with...

Been there, done that...is how the saying goes...We call our parents begging for information, we ask friends who have children, we read books, we pray, we try not to pull out our hair, and we turn to chocolate and caffeine to get through our days...thinking "This too shall pass"...and it does, our children wont be children for long, they will turn into adults who eventually move out, get married, and have those little precious beings we will call our grandchildren, and we as kind and faithful moms wont tell them what they are in for in years to come because they deserve every single bit of it will share the joys of raising children with them...

Here are My Top 10 Parenting Sanity Savors {What gets me through my days as a Mama}
  • My Bible, yep sure does...if I have some kind of question it doesnt feel right to go to anyone but my heavenly father for some help...Within these pages holds many many bits of instruction and how-to so to speak and it sure does help to just be in His arms on most days...pure comfort that I will make it, and "This too shall surely pass"...
  • Reading parenting books- this is just so I know I am not the only one who has honestly been there before, sometimes I get some helpful advice, other times its a smack in the face but either way I know in the end its what I needed.
  • Blogs- I ready MANY blogs, from Marriage blogs to Homeschooling Blogs, to Beauty Blogs...they are are wonderful get-aways for me...I can read into someone elses life and sometimes remember how wonderful I do have it, or find helpful tips on how-to do something or fun things for my kids to do...
  • Pinterest- this site is amazing, I LOVE it...I research all sorts of things on there, it helps when mom needs 30 minutes to just sit alone and have some coffee or breathe to be able to quickly search some kids crafts or games that I can send the kids off to do...of course I research other things like beauty and DIY just for me too...sometimes I need a good ole craft to do to just ease my own mind.
  • A friend- having someone you can physically talk to in person over some coffee or a much needed pepsi, married or not, that can just listen to you spill it out who may or may not be able to give you advice is helpful...just talking to someone is helpful...
  • DVD player/Netflix- this is a at home babysitter, most parents dont allow this these days BUT you will not find me without one or the other when I need a shower...or just to sit by myself for a bit...sure doesnt hurt to pop in a Veggie Tales or Angelina or Busy Town show, or for that matter something educational...
  • A Bubble Bath- nuff said, they are just plain relaxing after a day of wearing a million hats...
  • Starbucks- go ahead and get a coffee and read a magazine in this little cafe...read your bible or take your computer and browse blogs, pinterest, plan some activities, etc while you enjoy a Grande Caramel Macchiato...
  • Library, this is just the free version of a starbucks in my opinion, ours allows drinks so I can brew my own cup of joe and take my own laptop and hook to their wifi or read a million free books while I am there...
  • Last but surely not least is Getting Ready- taking care of yourself is very important in the self esteem realm, you need to be able to shower in peace, do your hair, and dab on even a little mascara and lipstick, then put on something decent that is not PJ's...it will change the way you feel for the day and help you be in a better mood towards everyone you come in contact with. If it means getting up earlier then do so, it will amaze you at the difference in your day! 
Some Extras:

  • Try a new hairstyle, you can google some tutorials and try something out
  • Try a new cosmetic, lipstick and blush are my favorites
  • Try a new hair do all together, get a trim, add some layers, or change the color
  • For kids: Play games, its nice outside make use of it
  • Chalk-nuff said
  • Go for a Walk, it occupies the kids and clears your head all at the same time
  • Dance, turn on the music and get down with your littles, trust me they dont care how goofy you look
  • Bubbles: find a recipe for homemade bubble solution and have a blast outside
  • If you have girls: Have a home spa day, paint your nails, dress up, and do some makeup
  • If you have boys: Play explorers sailing to far lands, make tents, play campout in the basement or living room
  • Nap time: have nap time, if your kids are older then they can have quiet time in their room reading or working on a project and you use that time for YOU not cleaning!
Parenting is just as much about you as it is the kids...You have to take care of yourself mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually in order to be a good parent. Its OK to take some time for yourself, you do everything for everyone else, and you need some time away in order to do those things with some sanity. 

There you have my Top 10 parenting sanity savors...I hope in some way they help you in your life as much as they have me...Being a mom to 4 little ones is amazing and I would never change that however I also need some time just to be a woman and that is what helps me be the best mom I can be...

What are some of your sanity savors?
Disclaimer: All photographs on this blog are that of my own unless otherwise stated; photographs that are not mine will be linked to the source I got them from. Please do not take any of my photographs without my written permission. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are awesome and much appreciated however, I reserve the right to publish or not publish a comment based on its contents.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...